Looking for a healthy breakfast sandwich? Look no further: check out my tasty Egg Breakfast Pita with Feta and Spinach.
As I kid I hated eggs. When my dad would make them for breakfast, I always choose cereal instead (or a cinnamon pop tart…!). Boy, how times have changed. Eggs are now one of my go-to breakfasts. They are high in protein, and keep me full for hours. Plus they pair well with vegetables, and I always love when I can get a serving of veggies in first thing in the morning.
This healthy breakfast sandwich pairs scrambled eggs with fresh spinach, tangy feta cheese, and a whole wheat pita. Sliced avocado adds some healthy fat, while tomato slices provide another serving of veggies. This is a hearty breakfast full of fiber, protein, and healthy fat, guaranteed to keep you full for hours.
This recipe originally appeared in a blog I wrote for Luvoinc.com.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 loosely packed cups of fresh spinach
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ medium avocado, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole wheat pita, cut in half
- Heat butter in
largenonstick skillet over medium heat. Add spinach and cook one to two minutes or until wilted.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Pour egg mixture into the skillet.
- As eggs begin to set, pull the eggs across the pan with a spatula. Continue cooking, pulling and folding the eggs, until they form soft curds and no liquid egg remains.
- Remove skillet from heat and add crumbled feta, folding into the eggs until combined.
- Season eggs with salt and pepper as desired.
- Place half of the egg mixture into each of the whole wheat pita halves, topping with avocado and tomato slices. Enjoy!